9.10.2009

I've been told I'm a good egg...

Well if you are what you eat than that is definitely true. At my house we buy our eggs in 6 dozen increments and it is not unusual for them to be gone in 2-4 days. This is because, for the most part, my husband and I eat only the whites. They are a good low calorie source of protein. My favorite way to eat egg whites are in a crepe-like form...I call them protein pancakes.

6 egg whites
1/4 cup skim cottage cheese
1/4 cup uncooked oatmeal
2-3 tblspns wheat flour
1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt (to taste)
(these measurements are approximates....I usually just eyeball it)

Throw it all in the blender or food processor (in that order) and puree

Cook in a skillet like you would a crepe. Just spray a little olive oil and put some batter in the skillet and swirl it around until in coats the bottom. Once it is cooked on one side, flip it over to the other.

There are endless possibilities for what you can use these for. I eat them plain or with sugar free syrup. I have also put fresh fruit with a little low fat sour cream in them, but my absolute favorite is spinach, basil, roma tomatoes, and a little bit of low fat Italian blend cheese, folded up like a quesadilla. YUM!

We also scramble our egg whites with a little Lowry's seasoning salt and eat with salsa and a little low fat sour cream...better yet, roll that scramble into a low-carb whole wheat tortilla and you have a breakfast burrito that is good and filling.

Another tip is to scramble the egg whites with a little skim cottage cheese. It makes them fluffy and also lends a salty buttery flavor.

1 comment:

Annie said...

Okay, so I made your protein pancakes today for lunch. My food processor is out of commission right now so they were probably a little thicker and chunkier than yours. I also made a little filling for them with your idea of cottage cheese and a little yogurt. Delicious and filling!! Yum!

Post a Comment